Hexane extract Of Orthosiphon stamineus induces insulin expression and prevents glucotoxicity in INS-1 cells
- Hexane extract Of Orthosiphon stamineus induces insulin expression and prevents glucotoxicity in INS-1 cells
- 김용운; 이해정; 최윤정; 박소영; 김종연; 원규장; 손종근
- antidiabetic agent; glucose; hexane; insulin; messenger RNA; Orthosiphon stamineus extract; peroxide; phosphatidylinositol 3 kinase; plant extract; protein kinase B; transcription factor PDX 1; unclassified drug; animal cell; animal experiment; animal model; animal tissue; antidiabetic activity; antioxidant activity; Article; concentration response; gene expression regulation; glucotoxicity; hyperglycemia; INS 1 cell line; insulin gene; nonhuman; oxidative stress; PDX 1 gene; plant leaf; protein expression; protein phosphorylation; rat
- Issue Date
- Diabetes and Metabolism Journal, v.39, no.1, pp.51 - 58
- Background: Hyperglycemia, a characteristic feature of diabetes, induces glucotoxicity in pancreatic ��-cells, resulting in further impairment of insulin secretion and worsening glycemic control. Thus, preservation of insulin secretory capacity is essential for the management of type 2 diabetes. In this study, we evaluated the ability of an Orthosiphon stamineus (OS) extract to prevent glucotoxicity in insulin-producing cells. Methods: We measured insulin mRNA expression and glucose-stimulated insulin secretion (GSIS) in OS-treated INS-1 cells after exposure to a high glucose (HG; 30 mM) concentration. Results: The hexane extract of OS elevated mRNA expression of insulin as well as pancreatic and duodenal homeobox-1 of INS-1 cells in a dose-dependent manner. The hexane OS extract also increased the levels of phosphorylated phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase (PI3K) in a concentration-dependent manner. Additionally, Akt phosphorylation was elevated by treatment with 100 and 200 ��mol of the hexane OS extract. Three days of HG exposure suppressed insulin mRNA expression and GSIS; these expressions were restored by treatment with the hexane OS extract. HG elevated peroxide levels in the INS-1 cells. These levels were unaffected by OS treatment under both normal and hyperglycemic conditions. Conclusion: Our results suggested that the hexane extract of OS elevates insulin mRNA expression and prevents glucotoxicity induced by a 3-day treatment with HG. This was associated with the activation of PI-3K and Akt. ? 2015 Korean Diabetes Association.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 생리학교실 > Articles
의과대학 > 영상의학과학교실 > Articles
의과대학 > 내과학교실 > Articles
약학대학 > 약학부 > Articles
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)