Studies on phytochemical analysis, antioxidant and lipid peroxidation inhibitory effects of a medicinal plant, Coleus forskohlii
- Studies on phytochemical analysis, antioxidant and lipid peroxidation inhibitory effects of a medicinal plant, Coleus forskohlii
- 비벡바지파이; 박용하; Pooja Agrawal[Pooja Agrawal]
- PHENOLIC CONTENT; IN-VITRO; CAPACITY; EXTRACTS
- Issue Date
- TAYLOR & FRANCIS LTD
- FRONTIERS IN LIFE SCIENCE, v.8, no.2, pp.139 - 147
- Oxidative stress caused by reactive oxygen species and free radicals generated in living cells may cause various chronic, non-communicable diseases. Current research is directed towards finding naturally occurring antioxidants of plant origin. This study investigated the phytochemistry, antioxidant and free radical scavenging potential of ethanolic root extract of Coleus forskohlii (ERECF) using different antioxidant models. The phytochemical analysis of ERECF revealed the presence of alkaloids, glycosides, terpenoids, saponins, phenols and steroids. ERECF showed antioxidant capacity with the inhibition of 1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH) radical by 71.21%. ERECF also had a potent inhibitory effect on scavenging nitric oxide, superoxide and hydroxyl radicals, by 66.23%, 61.22% and 61.68%, respectively. Moreover, ERECF displayed a concentration-dependent reducing power ability and a remarkable ferric ion-induced lipid peroxidation inhibitory effect (69.24%) in bovine brain extract. These findings confirm the biological efficacy of C. forskohlii as a potential source of natural antioxidants.
- Appears in Collections:
- 중앙도서관 > rims journal
생명공학부 > 생명공학부 > Articles
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)