Injury of the mammillothalamic tract inpatients with thalamic hemorrhage

Title
Injury of the mammillothalamic tract inpatients with thalamic hemorrhage
Author(s)
장성호권혁규이한도
Keywords
DIFFUSION TENSOR TRACTOGRAPHY; MENTAL-STATE-EXAMINATION; WERNICKES ENCEPHALOPATHY; FUNCTIONAL CONNECTIVITY; MEMORY; AMNESIA; BRAIN; INFARCTION; IMPLICIT
Issue Date
201404
Publisher
FRONTIERS RESEARCH FOUNDATION
Citation
FRONTIERS IN HUMAN NEUROSCIENCE, v.8
Abstract
Objective: Injury of the mammilothalamic tract (MTT) has been suggested as one of the plausible pathogenic mechanisms of memory impairment in patients with thalamic hemorrhage; hovvever, it has not been clearly demonstrated so far. We attempted to investigate whether injury of the MTT documented by diffusion tensor tractography following thalamic hemorrhage correlates with cognitive impairment. Methods: We recruited 22 patients with a thalamic hemorrhage and 20 control subjects. MTTs were reconstructed using the probabilistic tractography method. Patients were classified into two subgroups: reconstructed group, patients whose MTT was reconstructed in the affected hemisphere, and non-reconstructed group, patients whose MTT was not reconstructed. Results: Mammillothalamic tract was reconstructed in 5 (22.7%, reconstructed group) patients in the affected hemisphere and was not reconstructed in the remaining 17 patients (77.3%, non-reconstructed group). In addition, the MTT was not reconstructed even in the unaffected hemisphere in four patients (23.5%) in non-reconstructed group. Fractional anisotropy and mean diffusivity values of the affected hemisphere in reconstructed group also did not show significant differences from thsoe in the unaffected hemisphere of reconstructed group and the control group (p > 0.05). However, the tract volume of the affected hemisphere in reconstructed group was significantly lower than that of the unaffected hemisphere in reconstructed group and the control group (p < 0.05). Conclusion: A large portion of patients with thalamic hemorrhage appeared to suffer severe injury of the ipsilesional MTT (77.3%) and 18.2 of them appeared to suffere severe injury even in the contgralesional MTT. In addition, the remaining 22.7% of patients who had preserved integrity of the ipsilesional MTT appeared to suffer partial injury of the ipsilesional MTT.
URI
http://hdl.handle.net/YU.REPOSITORY/32492http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fnhum.2014.00259
ISSN
1662-5161
Appears in Collections:
의과대학 > 재활의학교실 > Articles
Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Export
RIS (EndNote)
XLS (Excel)
XML


qrcode

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

BROWSE