Delphinidin Inhibits LPS-Induced MUC8 and MUC5B Expression Through Toll-like Receptor 4-Mediated ERK1/2 and p38 MAPK in Human Airway Epithelial Cells
- Delphinidin Inhibits LPS-Induced MUC8 and MUC5B Expression Through Toll-like Receptor 4-Mediated ERK1/2 and p38 MAPK in Human Airway Epithelial Cells
- 배창훈; 전보성; 최윤석; 송시연; 김용대
- IN-VITRO; ANTHOCYANINS; INFLAMMATION; SECRETION; PATHWAY
- Issue Date
- KOREAN SOC OTORHINOLARYNGOL
- CLINICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL OTORHINOLARYNGOLOGY, v.7, no.3, pp.198 - 204
- Objectives. Delphinidin is one of the anthocyanidins. It is believed to have anti-inflammatory property including antioxidant, antiangiogenic, and anti-cancer properties. However, the anti-inflammatory effect of delphinidin in mucin-producing human airway epithelial cells has not been determined. Therefore, this study was conducted in order to investigate the effect and the brief signaling pathway of delphinidin in lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced MUC8 and MUC5B expression in human airway epithelial cells. Methods. In mucin-producing human NCI-H292 airway epithelial cells and primary cultures of normal nasal epithelial cells, the reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), real-time PCR, enzyme immunoassay were used for investigating the expressions of MUC8, MUC5, and Toll-like receptor 4 (TLR4), after LPS treatment and delphinidin treatment. And the signaling pathway of delphinidin on LPS-induced MUC8 and MUC5B expression was investigated using the RT-PCR, and immunoblot analysis. To confirm the involvement of TLR4 in LPS-induced MUC8 and MU5B expression, the cells were transfected with TLR4 siRNA Results. In NCI-H292 airway epithelial cells, LPS (100 ng/mL) significantly induced TLR4, MUC8, and MUC5B expression. TLR4 siRNA significantly blocked LPS-induced MUC8 and MUC5B mRNA expression. LPS (100 ng/mL) significantly activated the phosphorylation of extracellular signal related kinase (ERK) 1/2 and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK). Delphinidin (50 and 100 mu M) inhibited LPS-induced TLR4, MUC8, and MUC5B expression and LPS-induced phosphorylation of ERK1/2 and p38 MAPK. In the primary cultures of normal nasal epithelial cells, delphinidin (50 and 100 mu M) significantly inhibited LPS-induced TLR4, MUC8, and MUC5B gene expression. Conclusion. These results suggest that delphinidin attenuates LPS-induced MUC8 and MUC5B expression through the TLR4-mediated ERK1/2 and p38 MAPK signaling pathway in human airway epithelial cells. These findings indicated that delphinidin may be a therapeutic agent for control of inflammatory airway diseases.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 이비인후과학교실 > Articles
의과대학 > 영상의학과학교실 > Articles
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)