PHYTOCHEMICALS, ANTIOXIDANT AND ANTI-LIPID PEROXIDATION ACTIVITIES OF ETHANOLIC EXTRACT OF A MEDICINAL PLANT, ANDROGRAPHIS PANICULATA
- PHYTOCHEMICALS, ANTIOXIDANT AND ANTI-LIPID PEROXIDATION ACTIVITIES OF ETHANOLIC EXTRACT OF A MEDICINAL PLANT, ANDROGRAPHIS PANICULATA
- 비벡바지파이; Pooja Agrawal[Pooja Agrawal]; 박용하
- REACTIVE OXYGEN; PRODUCTS; CAPACITY; DISEASE; CANCER; OIL
- Issue Date
- JOURNAL OF FOOD BIOCHEMISTRY, v.38, no.6, pp.584 - 591
- Various human diseases are associated with oxidative stress caused by reactive oxygen species and free radicals generated in the living cells. Current research is directed toward finding naturally occurring antioxidant components of plant origin. This study was outlined to probe phytochemical analysis, antioxidant and anti-lipid peroxidation potential of ethanolic whole plant extract of Andrographis paniculata (EWPEAP) using different antioxidant and free radical scavenging models. The phytochemical analysis of EWPEAP revealed the presence of alkaloids, glycosides, terpenoids, saponins, phenols and steroids. The EWPEAP showed the antioxidant capacity as the inhibition of 1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl radical by 72.4%. The EWPEAP also had potent inhibitory effect on scavenging nitric oxide, superoxide and hydroxyl radicals by 66.5%, 62.2% and 62.5%, respectively. Moreover, the EWPEAP displayed concentration-dependent reducing power ability and significant (P<0.05) ferric ion-induced lipid peroxidation inhibitory effect in bovine brain extract. These findings confirm the biological efficacy of A.paniculata as a potential source of natural antioxidant. Practical ApplicationsAndrographis paniculata plant is widely used in Southeast Asia as febrifuge, tonic, stomachic and anthelmintic. It is also used as a principal ingredient of several pharmaceutical preparations in various forms as well as household medicine. Although it is being used in traditional practices, A.paniculata has been found to possess several biological properties including hepatoprotective, antithrombotic, anti-inflammatory, immunostimulant, antimalarial, antihyperglycemic and cardioprotective effect. Because oxidative stress has been implicated as one of the inducing factors for the generation of various metabolic disorders, the present study has evaluated the antioxidant potential of whole plant of A.paniculata, which may prove to be beneficial against free radical generated disorders.
- Appears in Collections:
- 중앙도서관 > rims journal
생명공학부 > 생명공학부 > Articles
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)