Green tea extract with polyethylene glycol-3350 reduces body weight and improves glucose tolerance in db/db and high-fat diet mice
- Green tea extract with polyethylene glycol-3350 reduces body weight and improves glucose tolerance in db/db and high-fat diet mice
- 김용운; 박재형[박재형]; 최윤정; 김상표[김상표]; 조호찬[조호찬]; 안신병[안신병]; 임성순[임성순]; 배재훈[배재훈]; 배기철[배기철]; 송대규[송대규]
- INSULIN-RESISTANCE; EPIGALLOCATECHIN GALLATE; MOLECULAR-MECHANISMS; FOOD-INTAKE; CATECHINS; OBESITY; POLYPHENOLS; CELLS; ABSORPTION; INHIBITOR
- Issue Date
- NAUNYN-SCHMIEDEBERGS ARCHIVES OF PHARMACOLOGY, v.386, no.8, pp.733 - 745
- Green tea extract (GTE) is regarded to be effective against obesity and type 2 diabetes, but definitive evidences have not been proven. Based on the assumption that the gallated catechins (GCs) in GTE attenuate intestinal glucose and lipid absorption, while enhancing insulin resistance when GCs are present in the circulation through inhibiting cellular glucose uptake in various tissues, this study attempted to block the intestinal absorption of GCs and prolong their residence time in the lumen. We then observed whether GTE containing the nonabsorbable GCs could ameliorate body weight (BW) gain and glucose intolerance in db/db and high-fat diet mice. Inhibition of the intestinal absorption of GCs was accomplished by co-administering the nontoxic polymer polyethylene glycol-3350 (PEG). C57BLKS/J db/db and high-fat diet C57BL/6 mice were treated for 4 weeks with drugs as follows: GTE, PEG, GTE + PEG, voglibose, or pioglitazone. GTE mixed with meals did not have any ameliorating effects on BW gain and glucose intolerance. However, the administration of GTE plus PEG significantly reduced BW gain, insulin resistance, and glucose intolerance, without affecting food intake and appetite. The effect was comparable to the effects of an alpha-glucosidase inhibitor and a peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma/alpha agonist. These results indicate that prolonging the action of GCs of GTE in the intestinal lumen and blocking their entry into the circulation may allow GTE to be used as a prevention and treatment for both obesity and obesity-induced type 2 diabetes.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 생리학교실 > Articles
의과대학 > 영상의학과학교실 > Articles
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)