Biological Removal of Phosphate at Low Concentrations Using Recombinant Escherichia coli Expressing Phosphate-Binding Protein in Periplasmic Space
- Biological Removal of Phosphate at Low Concentrations Using Recombinant Escherichia coli Expressing Phosphate-Binding Protein in Periplasmic Space
- 서정현; 최석순[최석순]; 이현민[이현민]; 하정협[하정협]; 강동균[강동균]; 김창섭; 차형준[차형준]
- PHOSPHORUS REMOVAL; AQUEOUS-SOLUTIONS; WASTE-WATER; FLY-ASH; TRANSPORT; SYSTEMS; ADSORBENT; NUTRIENT; RECOVERY; GENE
- Issue Date
- HUMANA PRESS INC
- APPLIED BIOCHEMISTRY AND BIOTECHNOLOGY, v.171, no.5, pp.1170 - 1177
- During wastewater treatment, phosphate removal is an important and challenging process; thus, diverse technologies, including those derived from biological means, have been devised for efficient phosphate removal. Although conventional biological methods are effective in decreasing wastewater phosphate levels to similar to 1 mg/L, long periods of microbial adaptation are required for effective phosphate removal, and the removal efficiency of these methods is relatively poor at lower phosphate concentrations. In the present work, we constructed a recombinant Escherichia coli with periplasmic-expressed phosphate-binding protein (PBP) and investigated its biological removal ability for low phosphate levels. We found that the PBP-expressing recombinant E. coli cells showed efficient (> 94 %) removal of phosphate at low concentrations (0.2-1.0 mg/L) in a treated cell mass-dependent manner. Collectively, we propose that our PBP-expressing recombinant whole-cell system could be successfully used during wastewater treatment for the biological removal of low concentrations of phosphate.
- Appears in Collections:
- 공과대학 > 화학공학부 > Articles
이과대학 > 화학생화학부 > Articles
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)