Effect of Epigallocatechin-3-Gallate on PMA-Induced MUC5B Expression in Human Airway Epithelial Cells
- Effect of Epigallocatechin-3-Gallate on PMA-Induced MUC5B Expression in Human Airway Epithelial Cells
- 김용대; 송은정; 배창훈; 김종연; 김용운; 박소영; 송시연
- INDUCED MUCIN PRODUCTION; MUCUS HYPERSECRETION; GENE-EXPRESSION; MATRIX-METALLOPROTEINASE-9; ASTHMA; DOXYCYCLINE; MMP-9; EGCG
- Issue Date
- KOREAN SOC OTORHINOLARYNGOL
- CLINICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL OTORHINOLARYNGOLOGY, v.6, no.4, pp.237 - 242
- Objectives. Among the inflammatory mediators, phorbol 12-myristate 13-acetate (PMA) is associated with the regulation of MUC5B expression in the airway epithelial cells. Epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) is the major component of green tea extract. The biological activity of EGCG includes reduction of cholesterol and antioxidant activity, as well as anti-inflammatory effect. However, the precise action mechanism of anti-inflammatory effect of EGCG in the airway epithelial cells has not been fully defined. This study investigates the effect and the brief signaling pathway of EGCG on PMA-induced MUC5B expression in the airway epithelial cells. Methods. In NCI-H292 airway epithelial cells, the effect and signaling pathway of EGCG on MUC5B expression were investigated using real-time polymerase chain reaction analysis, enzyme immunoassay, immunohistochemical analysis, gelatin zymography assay, and immunoblot analysis. Results. In NCI-H292 airway epithelial cells, PMA induced MUC5B expression, phosphorylation of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK), and matrix metalloproteinase-9 (MMP-9) expression and protein activity. EGCG significantly decreased PMA-induced MUC5B expression, phosphorylation of p38 MAPK, and MMP-9 expression and protein activity. SB203580 (p38 MAPK inhibitor) significantly decreased PMA-induced MMP-9 expression. In addition, SB203580 and MMP-9 I (MMP-9 inhibitor) significantly decreased PMA-induced MUC5B expression. Conclusion. These results suggest that EGCG down-regulates PMA-induced MUC5B expression through the p38 MAPK dependent MMP-9 signaling pathway in human airway epithelial cells.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 이비인후과학교실 > Articles
의과대학 > 영상의학과학교실 > Articles
의과대학 > 생리학교실 > Articles
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)