Effect of Population Reduction on mtDNA Diversity and Demographic History of Korean Cattle Populations

Title
Effect of Population Reduction on mtDNA Diversity and Demographic History of Korean Cattle Populations
Author(s)
김종주Hailu Dadi[Hailu Dadi]이승환[이승환]정경섭[정경섭]최재원[최재원]고문석[고문석]한영준[한영준]김관석[김관석]
Keywords
MITOCHONDRIAL-DNA; BIOLOGICAL CONSERVATION; GENETIC DIVERSITY; SIZE; POLYMORPHISM; BOTTLENECKS; SELECTION; VARIANCE; SEQUENCE; WEIGHT
Issue Date
201209
Publisher
ASIAN-AUSTRALASIAN ASSOC ANIMAL PRODUCTION SOC
Citation
ASIAN-AUSTRALASIAN JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCES, v.25, no.9, pp.1223 - 1228
Abstract
The population sizes of three Korean indigenous cattle populations have been drastically reduced over the past decades. In this study, we examined the extent to which reduction in populations influenced genetic diversity, population structure and demographic history using complete mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) control region sequences. The complete mtDNA control region was sequenced in 56 individuals from Korean Black (KB), Jeju Black (JEB) and Korean Brindle (BRI) cattle populations. We included 27 mtDNA sequences of Korean Brown (BRO) from the GenBank database. Haplotype diversity estimate for the total population was high (0.870) while nucleotide diversity was low (0.004). The KB showed considerably low nucleotide (pi = 0.001) and haplotype (h = 0.368) diversities. Analysis of molecular variance revealed a low level of genetic differentiation but this was highly significant (p<0.001) among the cattle populations. Of the total genetic diversity, 7.6% was attributable to among cattle populations diversity and the rest (92.4%) to differences within populations. The mismatch distribution analysis and neutrality tests revealed that KB population was in genetic equilibrium or decline. Indeed, unless an appropriate breeding management practice is developed, inbreeding and genetic drift will further impoverish genetic diversity of these cattle populations. Rational breed development and conservation strategy is needed to safeguard these cattle population.
URI
http://hdl.handle.net/YU.REPOSITORY/27289http://dx.doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2012.12122
ISSN
1011-2367
Appears in Collections:
생명공학부 > 생명공학부 > Articles
Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Export
RIS (EndNote)
XLS (Excel)
XML


qrcode

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

BROWSE