Adipose Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Regulates Metabolic Homeostasis through Angiogenesis
- Adipose Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Regulates Metabolic Homeostasis through Angiogenesis
- 도경오; Hoon-Ki Sung[Hoon-Ki Sung]; Joe Eun Son[Joe Eun Son]; Jin Gyoon Park[Jin Gyoon Park]; 배윤위; Soojeong Choi[Soojeong Choi]; Seana Mary Lunney Nelson[Seana Mary Lunney Nelson]; Rebecca Cowling[Rebecca Cowling]; Kristina Nagy[Kristina Nagy]; Iacovos P. Michael[ Iacovos P. Michael]; Gou Young Koh[Gou Young Koh]; S. Lee Adamson[S. Lee Adamson]; Tony Pawson[Tony Pawson]; Andras Nagy[Andras Nagy]
- DOXYCYCLINE-INDUCED HYPOGLYCEMIA; INSULIN-RESISTANCE; ENDOPLASMIC-RETICULUM; TISSUE ANGIOGENESIS; ADIPOCYTE DEATH; VEGF EXPRESSION; GENE-EXPRESSION; OBESITY; MICE; INFLAMMATION
- Issue Date
- CELL PRESS
- CELL METABOLISM, v.17, no.1, pp.61 - 72
- Vascular endothelial growth factor A (VEGF) is highly expressed in adipose tissue. Its role, however, has not been fully elucidated. Here, we reveal the metabolic role of adipose-VEGF by studying mice with deletion (VEGF(Ad Delta)) or doxycycline-inducible overexpression of a VEGF transgene (VEGF(AdTg)) in the adipose tissue. VEGF(Ad Delta) mice have reduced adipose vascular density and show adipose hypoxia, apoptosis, inflammation, and metabolic defects on a high-fat diet. In contrast, induction of VEGF expression in VEGF(AdTg) mice leads to increased adipose vasculature and reduced hypoxia. The latter changes are sufficient to counteract an established compromising effect of high-fat diet on the metabolism, indicating that metabolic misbalance is reversible by adipose vessel density increase. Our data clearly show the essential role of VEGF signaling for adequate adipose function. Besides revealing insights into the molecular mechanisms of obesity-related metabolic diseases, this study points to the therapeutic potential of increased adipose angiogenesis.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 생리학교실 > Articles
의과대학 > 영상의학과학교실 > Articles
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)