A Whole Genome Association Study to Detect Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms for Body Conformation Traits in a Hanwoo Population
- A Whole Genome Association Study to Detect Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms for Body Conformation Traits in a Hanwoo Population
- 아람마부; 이윤미; 박병래[박병래]; 김진호[김진호]; 이성수[이성수]; 신형두[신형두]; 김관석[김관석]; 김내수[김내수]; 김종주
- CARCASS COMPOSITION; FUNCTIONAL TRAITS; QUALITY TRAITS; DAIRY-CATTLE; LOCI; GROWTH; SCAN; QTL; DISCOVERY; CROSS
- Issue Date
- ASIAN-AUSTRALASIAN ASSOC ANIMAL PRODUCTION SOC
- ASIAN-AUSTRALASIAN JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCES, v.24, no.3, pp.322 - 329
- A whole genome association (WGA) study was conducted to identify quantitative trait loci (QTL) for body conformation traits in Hanwoo cattle. The phenotypes of 497 steers were recorded from the Hanwoo Improvement Center of National Agricultural Cooperative Federation, Seosan, Korea, and analyzed using the II lumina Bovine 50 k SNP chip. A set of 35,987 SNPs that were available in the Hanwoo population was selected from the chip. After adjustments for the effects of year-season of birth, region and sire, phenotypes were regressed on each SNP using a linear regression model. Three hundred nineteen SNPs were detected for the ten conformation traits (p < 0.003). For the significant SNPs, stepwise regression procedures were applied to determine best sets of markers. A total of 72 SNPs were selected (p < 0.001), for which the sets of 5, 9, 10, 9, 8, 11, 4, 6, 3 and 7 SNPs were determined for height at withers, rump height, body length, chest depth, chest width, rump length, hip width, thurl width, pinbone width and heart girth, respectively. About 7-26% of the total phenotypic variation was explained by the set of SNPs for each trait. QTL for the conformation traits were harbored on most bovine chromosomes (BTAs). Four SNPs with pleiotropic effects on height at withers and rump height were detected on BTAs 3, 4, 6 and 16. A SNP with pleiotropic effects on chest width and rump length was also detected on BTA10. Two QTL regions, i.e. between 87 and 97 Mb in BTA3 and between 41 and 44 Mb in BTA7, were found, in which SNPs were detected for the five and three conformation traits, respectively. The detected SNPs need to be validated in other Hanwoo populations for commercial application to the genetic improvement of conformation characteristics in Hanwoo via marker-assisted selection (MAS).
- Appears in Collections:
- 중앙도서관 > rims journal
생명공학부 > 생명공학부 > Articles
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)