근대 초기 시형의 모색과 율격 논의 - 김억의 「격조시형론」을 중심으로-
- 근대 초기 시형의 모색과 율격 논의 - 김억의 「격조시형론」을 중심으로-
- Other Titles
- Explore the poetic form and discuss the metrical theory of early modern era -Based on Kyeokjosi of Kim Uk's-
- Kim Uk; Kyeokjosi; versification; poetic form; free verse; verse with fixed form; syllabic meter; 김억; 격조시; 율격론; 시형; 자유시; 정형시; 음수율.
- Issue Date
- 한국문학이론과 비평, v.15, no.1, pp.7 - 33
- The Kyeokjosi theory is the definitive work of Kim Uk's poetics theory as well as a meaningful work in the history of our Korean poetics. While exploring Kyeokjosi, Kim Uk sticked to the versification as a new paradigm of poetry which should be evaluated as a positive achievement. There is a high possibility that Kyeokjosi he was sought initially could be a free style poetry with meter enlivened in it. Specially, he had been studying on the pattern of Korean poetry from long times ago already, and it seems to have been recognized by him that what was the necessary to free style poem was the poem that has rhythm in it. Despite such positive evaluation, his Kyeokjosi theory has a clear limitation as well.
The effort of Kim Uk intended to provide ideal pattern of Kyeokjosi based on the theory of the meter exposed a substantial limitation from the theory he had been sticked to. As a result he failed to find out a style of Kyeokjosi proper to us and hastily led to the frame of 7.5 phrase 12 syllables. This in turn provided a ground that Kyeokjosi was intended to imitate close to the meter of Japanese poetry. The interest of Kim Uk was to seek the most ideal Kyeokjosi, as a result of which he didn't pay much attention to the fact that Kyeokjosi has become a poetry with fixed Syllable meter. It is a clear mistake that he sought idealistic Kyeokjosi in the fixed syllabic meter.
In additon, Kim Uk's Kyeokjosi theory had not gained opportunity to be developed to the discussions of the typicality of the poetry at all that goes beyond the basic unit meter or basic unit which forms standard unit of meter. That is due to the inability to understand clearly with regard to the concept of <line> and the beauty of meter created by internal diversity of meter contained in the poetry.
Because of immatured understanding of the basic concept meter and undisputed acceptance of Japanese poetry theory, Kyeokjosi theory that presented to the poetics society with full of aspiration of free style poem could not but to receive the criticism of deterioration of the poetry theory or metrical theory.
The Kyeokjosi theory of Kim Uk provides a substantial implication to the contemporary free style poem direction to move forward. When we have a glance at our contemporary free style poetry, such concerns toward Kim Uk may not be regarded as meaningless, that which path of contemporary poetry had been pursued and to what direction need to be moved forward from the view point of meter of contemporary verse. Rather, the most urgent point required in the poetical circles may be the recovery to be the poetry like of the free style poem.
As sought by the Kyeokjosi theory from Kim Uk, though he might have failed, it still required to have the agony and reflection how to create the poetry to be poem- like by applying meter of ours to the free style of poem.
- Appears in Collections:
- 문과대학 > 국어국문학과 > Articles
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)