Staged Protocol in Treatment of Open Distal Tibia Fracture: Using Lateral MIPO
- Staged Protocol in Treatment of Open Distal Tibia Fracture: Using Lateral MIPO
- 손욱진; 강동화[강동화]
- Open distal tibia fracture; Staged protocol; Minimally invasive plate osteosynthes; Lateral plate fi xation
- Issue Date
- Clinics in Orthopedic Surgery, v.3, no.1, pp.69 - 76
- Background: To evaluate the radiological, clinical results in patients with open distal tibia factures, who were treated with astaged treatment protocol using the lateral minimally invasive plate osteosynthesis (MIPO) technique.
Methods: From January 2007 to June 2009, 10 patients with open distal tibia fractures (Gustilo-Anderson classifi cation II, 3; IIIA,1; IIIB, 6) were treated using a staged treatment protocol. The initial debridement and application of an external fi xator were performedwithin 24 hours and the mean interval from injury to defi nitive surgical treatment was 15 days (range, 6 to 52 days). Eightweeks later, an additional bone graft was performed in 3 patients. The follow-up duration was more than 1 year.
Results: The mean fracture healing time was 21 weeks (range, 17 to 28 weeks), and the average Iowa ankle rating score was84.5 points. At the last follow-up, there was no non-union, angular deformity > 5°, shortening > 10 mm or infection. In 10 patients,2 patients had a superfi cial wound infection, and another 2 patients showed limitation of ankle joint motion.
Conclusions: This staged treatment protocol using a lateral MIPO technique is a useful alternative method for achieving highfunctional recovery with good healing and low complication rates in patients with an open distal tibia fracture.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 정형외과학교실 > Articles
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)