A Survey of Diabetic Educators and Patients for the Revision of Korean Food Exchange Lists
- A Survey of Diabetic Educators and Patients for the Revision of Korean Food Exchange Lists
- 원규장; 조재원[조재원]; 권미라[권미라]; 박영미[박영미]; 우미혜[우미혜]; 유혜숙[유혜숙]; 임정현[임정현]; 구보경[구보경]; 김종화[김종화]; 김해진[김해진]; 박재선[박재선]; 임수[임수]; 장학철[장학철]
- Diabetes; Food exchange lists; Korean; Medical nutritional therapy
- Issue Date
- Diabetes and Metabolism Journal, v.35, no.2, pp.173 - 181
- Background: Food exchange lists are one of the main methods of nutritional education. However, Korean food exchange lists have not been revised since 1994. Therefore, we surveyed the opinions of diabetes educators and patients with diabetes regarding the need for revision of the current food exchange lists.
Methods: For two weeks beginning on 10 March 2008, a 12-item questionnaire regarding the opinion and need for revision of the current food exchange lists was e-mailed to diabetes educators nationwide. Another 15-question survey was administered to patients with diabetes in 13 hospitals located in the Seoul and Gyeonggi regions of Korea.
Results: We obtained survey responses from 101 diabetes educators and 209 patients; 65 (64.3%) of the educators answered that the current food exchange lists should be revised. The items that needed revision were the glycemic index, addition of new foods and reaffirmation of exchange standard amounts. The patients demanded specific education about choosing appropriate foods, a balanced meal plan, proper snacks, and dining intake.
Conclusion: Our survey results demonstrate the need to revise the Korean food exchange lists. This process should focus on glycemic index, the addition of new foods and reconfirmation of one exchange reference unit.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 내과학교실 > Articles
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)