Detection of Clopidogrel Hyporesponsiveness Using a Point-of-Care Assay and the Impact of Additional Cilostazol Administration after Coronary Stent Implantation in Diabetic Patients
- Detection of Clopidogrel Hyporesponsiveness Using a Point-of-Care Assay and the Impact of Additional Cilostazol Administration after Coronary Stent Implantation in Diabetic Patients
- 박종선; 김웅; 홍그루; 신동구; 김영조; 양태현[양태현]; 김두일[김두일]; 장재식[장재식]; 설상훈[설상훈]; 김대경[김대경]; 김동기[김동기]; 조윤경[조윤경]; 남창욱[남창욱]; 허승호[허승호]; 김권배[김권배]; 김동수[김동수]
- Cilostazol; Clopidogrel; Diabetes mellitus; Platelet function tests; Point-of-care systems
- Issue Date
- The Korean Journal of Internal Medicine, v.26, no.2, pp.145 - 152
- Background/Aims: Impaired responsiveness to clopidogrel is common in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (DM). The aim of this study was to evaluate the clinical application of a point-of-care assay to detect impaired responsiveness to clopidogrel after coronary stent implantation in patients with type 2 DM.
Methods: We measured P2Y12 reaction units (PRU) with the VerifyNow point-of-care assay in 544 consecutive patients undergoing dual or triple (i.e., dual plus cilostazol) anti-platelet therapy after coronary stent implantation. High platelet reactivity (HPR) was defined as a PRU value ≥ 240.
Results: The mean PRU values were 233.5 ± 83.2 and 190.3 ± 85.5 in patients undergoing dual or triple anti-platelet therapy, respectively (p < 0.001). Patients with DM manifested higher post treatment PRU values (238.3 ± 82.4 vs. 210.8 86.8, p = 0.001) and a higher frequency of HPR (44.8% vs. 31.0%, p = 0.003) as compared to patients without DM. We also found that higher PRU values and a higher frequency of HPR were present in patients with DM who were undergoing both triple and dual anti-platelet therapy. However, the higher post-treatment PRU values observed in patients with DM decreased with triple anti-platelet therapy (219.4 ± 82.5 vs. 247.9 ± 81.1, p = 0.044).
Conclusions: A point-of-care assay can detect elevated platelet reactivity and impaired responsiveness to clopidogrel in patients with type 2 DM. The addition of cilostazol to dual anti-platelet therapy may decrease post-treatment PRU values in patients with type 2 DM.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 내과학교실 > Articles
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)