번역전공 대학원생의 번역 오류 현상 - 포우의 The Cask of Amontillado의 번역 분석을 중심으로
- 번역전공 대학원생의 번역 오류 현상 - 포우의 The Cask of Amontillado의 번역 분석을 중심으로
- Other Titles
- The Error Types of the Translation Graduate Students: Based on the Analysis of Translations of 'the Cask of Amontillado' Written by Poe
- 번역 평가; 번역전공 대학원생; 문학번역; 번역자의 능력; 번역의 오류 분석; Translation assessment; Translation graduate students; Literary Translation; Competency for translators; Error analysis in translation.
- Issue Date
- 한국외국어대학교 통번역연구소
- 통번역학연구, v.15, pp.251 - 270
- This study examines errors that occur during the process of understanding and transferring a source text. Texts translated by graduate students who majored in translation studies were used to compile the data. Based on the results of the qualitative analysis, a desirable method for literary translation and translation teaching is presented.
The source text for the analysis is The Cask of Amontillado written by Poe and the target texts are seven texts translated by graduate translation students. The assessment was conducted in three areas;syntax, semantics and pragmatics. The process begins by checking the student's understanding of the source text's syntax and meaning.
Then, the researcher assesses if the student recognizes the pragmatics and context of the source text. Common errors students made are presented by comparing with the model translation suggested by the researcher. Then the causes of errors are discussed.
The main problems in the students' translations were caused either by students' less than full understanding of the source texts in the context level, or the difficulties in rendering the target language. In the case of the latter, the target texts were found to have grammatical errors or translationese. Strategic competence is required to solve these problems. Professors or lecturers should help students recognize problems found in translated texts and demonstrate the strategic competence for problem solving, such as deciding the priority in translation or searching for the necessary information.
Professors or lecturers should not present ideal translation and make an prescriptive approach in translation class. Instead, he or she should encourage students to find solutions to translation problems by discussing with them the features of a source text on a macro level. He or she should also teach how to grasp the target readers.
This learning process will help students translate independently.
- Appears in Collections:
- 기초교육대학 > 교양학부 > Articles
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)