A Preliminary Study on Confucianism and Music in the Joseon Dynasty
- A Preliminary Study on Confucianism and Music in the Joseon Dynasty
- Other Titles
- 朝鮮時代の｢儒教｣と｢楽｣について* - 思想史からの一試論 -
- Confucianism; the Music; the Joseon Dynasty; ritual; Aak(correct and pure music for use in ceremonies); Sonbi(confucian scholars); Muinomak(the Music by the Confucian scholars); 儒敎; 樂; 朝鮮時代; 禮; 儀禮; 雅樂; 士; 文人音樂; Confucianism; the Music; the Joseon Dynasty; ritual; Aak(correct and pure music for use in ceremonies); Sonbi(confucian scholars); Muinomak(the Music by the Confucian scholars)
- Issue Date
- 동북아 문화연구, v.1, no.28, pp.165 - 187
- This paper is a preliminary study on confucianism and music in the Joseon dynasty.
In Joseon dynasty, not only having the development of Confucian ritual(禮, Rye), but also having the development of the Confucian music(樂) by Confucian scholars and Scholars officials.
In the first time, the Confucian music did not highlighted on the front of the society in the Joseon Dynasty that was the Confucian society, compare with the Confucian ritual. The Confucian rituals had became widely available even in the palaces also in the private life of people. But the Confucian music, at first, was used only for ceremonies and the national level events. It is the Aak(雅樂) that is the music for use in ceremonies, and the Dangak(唐樂) that is the music for use making be bright, be correct the palace. Hyangak(郷楽) is the unique music of the country have inherited in Korea.
The Aak and Jeongak is based on classical texts of ancient and medieval Chinese literature and philosophy, such as the Riji(禮記, The text on confucian ritual), the Analects of Confu년(論語) etc.
In the the Joseon dynasty, as a national project created the most important Confucian classic music books is Akhakgwebeom(樂學軌範) edited by Songhyon(成俔), a canon and the manual of confucianism music of Joseon, musical instruments, music system etc is recorded in detail.
When the late Joseon dynasty, from the national level to the private sector be discussed and practiced, by the Confucian scholars, so called, Sonbi(士, confucian scholars). It is just Muinomak(文人音樂, Confucian scholars Music), such as Jeongak(正樂) as the Aak(雅樂), means just correct, pure and good music.
- Appears in Collections:
- 문과대학 > 철학과 > Articles
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)