응급실 노인환자의 섬망 유발에 대한 위험인자 조사
- 응급실 노인환자의 섬망 유발에 대한 위험인자 조사
- Other Titles
- Risk Factors for Delirium in Elderly Patients Visiting an Emergency Department
- 도병수; 이삼범; 박신률; 곽경훈[곽경훈]
- Delirium; Elderly; Risk factors
- Issue Date
- 대한응급의학회지, v.22, no.5, pp.489 - 493
- Purpose: Delirium is a common and worrisome problem among elder hospitalized patients. Many studies have sought to evaluate the risk factors of delirium. Most of these studies have dealt with the intensive care unit, with virtually nothing known about the emergency room. Our study was designated to evaluate the risk factors in an emergency department.
Methods: We retrospectively reviewed 414 cases of elder patients admitted to the general ward of internal medicine via the emergency room between January 2009 and December 2009. We divided these patients into a delirium group and non-delirium group. We statistically evaluated 31known risk factors of delirium in these two groups.
Results: Using chi-square test, 14 of 31 known risk factors of delirium were proven as risk factors of delirium in an emergency room. Using logistic regression, three of the 14proven risk factors were revealed as prior factors.
Conclusion: A variety of factors of delirium are risk factors of delirium in an emergency room. A few important known risk factors are failed to pass statistically evaluation. These results are influenced by cultural pecularities of South Korea. Also, the small sample size limited conclusive evaluation.
Nonetheless, the importance of patients’ past medical history, laboratory results, and choice of medication when treating elder hospitalized patients to prevent delirium is likely important in reducing mortality and morbidity.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 응급의학교실 > Articles
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)