문학 번역의 대상 독자층이 번역물에 미치는 영향에 관한 비교 분석
- 문학 번역의 대상 독자층이 번역물에 미치는 영향에 관한 비교 분석
- Other Titles
- A Comparative Study of the Influence Which Target Readers Level Has on the Target Text
- The purpose of translation; Target readers; Text Types; The style of translation; Translation strategy; The purpose of translation; Target readers; Text Types; The style of translation; Translation strategy; 번역의 목적; 목표 텍스트; 텍스트 유형; 번역의 양식; 번역 전략
- Issue Date
- 비교문학, no.50, pp.123 - 150
- This paper will analyze the five target texts (TTs) of The Last Leaf and examine how they differ according to the purpose and function of the translation. The theoretical background of the data analysis is the 'Skopos Theory' and 'Text Types'. "Skopos is a technical term for the aim or purpose of a translation". According to Vermeer, the skopos of a translation is the goal or purpose which is defined by the commission, and sometimes adjusted by the translator.
Reiss argues that the types of the ST determine translation. Reiss proposed four basic types, the first three being very traditional: informative texts, expressive texts, operative texts, and audio-visual texts. The approach considers the text rather than the word or the sentence as the translation unit. It means that equivalence is to be sought at text level.
The five TTs fulfill the different level of functions according to their target readers. The result of the data analysis reveals that TT1 and TT3 takes a ST-oriented strategy while TT2 and TT4 takes a TT-oriented one. The former tries to pursue faithfulness to the ST and the latter considers the readability for the TT readers. In fact, the four TTs may not be defined as ST-oriented or TT-oriented, because either the lack of reading ability may have affected the translation or the translator did not adopt any particular strategy. Such can be seen as the limitation of product analysis.
The findings of this research are as follows; Firstly, the translators engage themselves with the TT genre according to the TT readers. Secondly, 'Domestication' method in the literary translation stands out. Lastly, the TT readers have been restricted to the small scale. In the case of the last finding, translation clients tend to provide the translator with the TT reader level and the purpose of the translation, while the translators establish the translation strategy based on the information and translate.
- Appears in Collections:
- 기초교육대학 > 교양학부 > Articles
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)