Impact of the Midurethral Sling Procedure on Quality of Life in Women with Urinary Incontinence
- Impact of the Midurethral Sling Procedure on Quality of Life in Women with Urinary Incontinence
- 정희창; 임화수; 김종민[김종민]; 송필현[송필현]; 김현태
- Urinary incontinence; Urologic surgical procedures; Quality of life
- Issue Date
- Korean Journal of Urology, v.51, no.2, pp.122 - 127
- Purpose: This study was designed to objectively assess the impediment of incontinence to quality of life (QoL) in females and its improvement by the midurethral sling (MUS) procedure.
Materials and Methods: From June 2006 to June 2007, 93 female patients underwent the MUS procedure at our institute because of urinary incontinence. The incontinence quality of life (I-QoL) questionnaire was administered to measure the QoL of the incontinent patients before and 1 and 12 months after the MUS procedure. Preoperative data and urodynamic factors were analyzed retrospectively by I-QoL scores to identify factors that may affect the QoL of incontinent patients.
Results: The average preoperative I-QoL score of the 93 patients was 61.1+/-21.0 points. At 1 year after surgery, the average I-QoL score was found to have improved to 98.4+/-20.7 points. There were no significant differences between stress and mixed urinary incontinence in terms of cure and satisfaction (p>0.05). I-QoL scores of the cured and improved patients increased at 1 year after surgery (p<0.01). There were no statistically significant differences in the increment of I-QoL between cured and improved patients (p＞0.05). Although urinary urgency and large urine leak amounts significantly reduced preoperative QoL in incontinent patients, the MUS procedure effectively improved the QoL regardless of these factors.
Conclusions: Preoperative I-QoL assessment revealed a significant impairment of QoL in incontinent women, but the MUS procedure effectively improved these women’s QoL.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 비뇨기과학교실 > Articles
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)