Binding Modes of New Bis-Ru(II) Complexes to DNA: Effect of the Length of the Linker
- Binding Modes of New Bis-Ru(II) Complexes to DNA: Effect of the Length of the Linker
- 권병향[권병향]; 최병훈[최병훈]; 이현미; 장윤정; 이재철[이재철]; 김석규
- LINEAR DICHROISM; DIPYRIDOPHENAZINE COMPLEXES; ENERGY-TRANSFER; RUTHENIUM(II); 4',6-DIAMIDINO-2-PHENYLINDOLE; INTERCALATION; DYNAMICS
- Issue Date
- KOREAN CHEMICAL SOC
- BULLETIN OF THE KOREAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, v.31, no.6, pp.1615 - 1620
- Bis-[dipyrido[3,2-a:2',3'-c]phenazine)(2)(1,10-phenanthroline)(2)Ru(2)](2+) complexes (bis-Ru(II) complexes) tethered by linkers of various lengths were synthesized and their binding properties to DNA investigated by normal absorption and linear dichroism spectra, and fluorescence techniques in this study. Upon binding to DNA, the bis-Ru(II) complex with the longest linker (1,3-bis-(4-pyridyl)-propane), exhibited a negative LD(r) signal whose intensity was as large as that in the DNA absorption region, followed by a complicate LD(r) signal in the metal-to-ligand charge transfer region. The luminescence intensity of this bis-Ru(II) complex was enhanced. The observed LD(r) and luminescence results resembled that of the [Ru(1,10-phenanthroline)(2)dipyrido[3,2-a:2',3'-c]phenazine](2+) complex, whose dipyrido[3,2-a:2',3'-c]phenazine (dppz) ligand has been known to intercalate between DNA bases. Hence, it is conclusive that both dppz ligands of the bis-Ru(II) complex intercalate. The binding stoichiometry, however, was a single intercalated dppz per similar to 2.3 bases, which violates the "nearest binding site exclusion" model for intercalation. The length between the two Ru(II) complexes may be barely long enough to accommodate one DNA base between the two dppz ligands, but not for two DNA bases. When the linker was shorter (4,4'-bipyridine or 1,2-bis-(4-pyridyl)-ethane), the magnitude of the LD in the dppz absorption region, as well as the luminescence intensity of both bis-Ru(II) complexes, was half that of bis-Ru(I) complex bearing a long linker. This observation can be elucidated by a model whereby one of the dppz ligands intercalates while the other is exposed to the aqueous environment.
- Appears in Collections:
- 문과대학 > 중국언어문화학과 > Articles
이과대학 > 화학생화학부 > Articles
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)